The Campanile Room is named after the Campanile that was erected in 1923. It commemorates the landing of the 1820 British Settlers in Algoa Bay.
The Campanile is a most conspicuous landmark and stands in Strand Street at the entrance to the docks adjacent to the Railway Station which is also the end point of the main tourist bus services.
The Campanile is 518 metres high and has a 204 step spiral stairway to the Observation Room which provides excellent views of the city and harbour.
The tower has the largest carillon of bells in the country in addition to its chiming clock.
During 2016 restoration work started on the Campanile and today the Campanile is one of the prime tourist attractions in Port Elizabeth.
Some of the new features of the Campanile include an interactive visual-technology array dubbed ‘Ghost Bells’ – bell proxies installed under the actual bell carillon which visually light up during chiming or when visitors press keys of an interactive silver console to match the pitch of a key with the corresponding bell.
Another addition includes the harbour viewing window - an observation deck capsule at the top of the 50m Campanile memorial, suspending visitors in the sky when they overlook the Port Elizabeth harbour.
A new reception area that will act as an information desk and several exhibition areas within the Campanile for the city’s creative communities has been developed. Other features such as a silver plaque on the 67th step of the 204 steps spiralling staircase to acknowledge Nelson Mandela’s 67 years in service of democracy, had also been included as a new feature of the building.